Root Canal Therapy
You are receiving these instructions because you have just had root canal therapy. Your root canal is either complete, or there is medication in your tooth that requires you to return to the clinic to have your root canal completed. Please follow the instructions below:
- Refrain from eating or drinking until the numbness in your mouth wears off.
- Avoid chewing or biting on the treated tooth until it has been restored by your dentist, unless otherwise advised by our office.
- Continue to brush and floss your teeth as normal unless otherwise instructed.
What to expect:
• Tenderness in the area around the treated tooth is normal during the next few days. These symptoms are typically temporary and should respond well to over-the-counter (OTC) pain medications. Inflammation from the procedure develops within the first 24-48 hours therefore, if able, please follow one of the OTC medication regimens below even in the absence of pain for the first 2-3 days after treatment:
--- Take 3 tablets (600 mg total) of Ibuprofen every 6 hours. Not to exceed 3200mg a day.
--- Take 1 tablet (500 mg total) of Acetaminophen every 6 hours. Not to exceed 3000mg a day.
Should you be prescribed narcotic medications, be aware that these may make you drowsy so please exercise caution while driving or operating heavy machinery.
Caution: If you are pregnant, consult with your obstetrician before taking any pain medication. If you are prescribed antibiotics, please be aware that they may decrease the effectiveness of birth control.
Contact our office immediately at (650) 757-3636 if you develop any of the following:
- Severe pain not managed adequately by the regimen recommended.
- An allergic reaction to any medication taken, including rash, itching, and hives.
- Nausea from the prescribed medications.
- Swelling inside or outside of your mouth.
- A return of your original symptoms.
- A lost temporary filling.
A permanent restoration of the root canal treated tooth is critical. Please contact your dentist immediately to arrange an appointment!